Track & Field

Gather around for news and rumors about the industry
ATowne
antispam: No
The middle number please (4738): 4738

Track & Field

#1 Post by ATowne » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:01 am

Hey everyone, I'm calling Track & Field for the first time tomorrow and figured I'd ask if anyone has any experience with it/tips for broadcasting.

I did PA for a few outdoor meets back when I was in high school, but that was a while ago and PxP would be much different anyways.

Fortunately, it will actually be a 3-man crew with 4 total cameras - so it's not like I'm flying solo. But any advice for what to focus on and how to use the rest of the crew (one ran in HS and was a HS coach before becoming an athletic communications intern, he's the T&F expert of the group) would be much appreciated.
The better you want to be, the harder you have to work. I want to be great.
andytowne.com

Jon Chelesnik

Re: Track & Field

#2 Post by Jon Chelesnik » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:50 am

Hi Andy -- I'm sorry you weren't able to get any suggestions here prior to your track and field assignment. How did things go?

ATowne

#3 Post by ATowne » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:15 am

No worries, it went alright. There were a lot of limitations for what we could see & information we had access to (results) during the meet, but we made do.
The better you want to be, the harder you have to work. I want to be great.
andytowne.com

Jon Chelesnik

#4 Post by Jon Chelesnik » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:20 am

Hi Andy -- super, glad it went okay. At least now, if you get another opportunity to broadcast track and field, you'll have a much better idea of what to expect.

FnkyPhantom

#5 Post by FnkyPhantom » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:56 pm

Hi Andy,
Sorry that we were unable to provide assistance with regard to your Track & Field broadcast. It's a sport that gets nominal prep, collegiate or elite performer coverage in the US. Only time we see a spike in coverage is during an Olympic year. And it's tough to prep for with so many athletes and events. I'm glad to hear that it went well for you and that you will be able to build on that experience.

I covered the Nevada State HS T&F championships last year. 7.5 hours of straight talk! My broadcast partner (analyst) had never attended a track meet in his life...which begs the question,...why the HELL was he assigned to this broadcast??? So that was one challenge. But I spent a good 3-4 days in preparation mode, gathering school, state, meet and national records as well as that year's performance leaders. With each race/event, there are typically 1-3 favorites. I focused on finding some background information on them (i.e. top performances of the year, finding info on their Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc. social media pages). Individual school websites sometimes have good information as well on individual athletes. Of course, never forget the local newspapers!

Hopefully the officials running the meet have a program, which often breaks down the competitors in each race and record times. Track & Field is challenging...A lot going on at one time and for a number of hours. It takes a team to make the broadcast work (Also make sure to get the results of each final - especially the field events that many people don't get to see).

Hope that helps....TC