King, Dambach emerge as Pirates play-by-play candidates

Gather around for news and rumors about the industry
Jon Chelesnik

King, Dambach emerge as Pirates play-by-play candidates

#1 Post by Jon Chelesnik » Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:46 am

Local media speculation that FSN Pittsburgh anchor-reporter Rob King was a candidate for the vacant Pirates play-by-play job was news to King.

"I've done all kinds of play by play in my career," King said, "but never an inning of baseball."

King, though, would be a good choice. He's distinguished himself in the region with his work, has a strong following and is knowledgeable about Pirates baseball.

"I'm flattered that I'm being talked about," King said, "but I have not formally applied for the job."

He indicated he would be willing to listen if the Pirates were interested.

Another candidate is Jason Dambach, the long-time play-by-play announcer of the Altoona Curve.

(Courtesy Pittsburgh Post Gazette)

micmoles

#2 Post by micmoles » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:20 am

Unlike the Mets job last season, this one will almost certainly go to a minor league broadcaster. I can't imagine this gig pays a whole lot of money which would likely rule out an already fulltime major league voice.

My guess is the gig pays less than $75k.

Don't know much about Dambach. I would think the usual name of top minor league suspects will surface; Russ Langer, Rich Burk, Bob Socci.

Howard Kellman is the Pirates current AAA voice, but he's been in Indy so long I'm not sure he'd be a candidate. Nashville's Chuck Valenches has pipes and was the Pirates lead AAA voice before the designation transferred.

Greg Brown came from Buffalo, but with prior Pirate ties. Ben Wagner is currently at Buffalo. Josh Whetzel is well regarded at Rochester.

This is probably the best opening for a minor league announcer (with no big league time) in years.

Scott_Sudikoff
The middle number please (4738): 0

#3 Post by Scott_Sudikoff » Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:39 pm

Jeffe wrote:The Pirates are as minor league as a major league team can get. They haven't even had a .500 season since the Reagan administration. Hard to imagine this job going to someone with big league experience. Who would be willing to take the step backward?
Ouch. It hasn't been that long. 1992 NL East Champions. Since then... the best they've done is 79-83 in 1997.