[uhn-bi-lee-vuh-buh l]
Spell Syllables
Examples Word Origin
See more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
adjective
too dubious or improbable to be believed:
an unbelievable excuse.
so remarkable as to strain credulity; extraordinary:
the unbelievable fury of the storm; an unbelievable athlete.
Alex Del Barrio
Host/Reporter
CBS Radio - Houston
Sportsradio 610
Visit my STAA talent page http://www.staatalent.com/client/alex-delbarrio/

ssteve

Re: Unbelieveable....

#32 Post by ssteve » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:31 pm

I watched Rhode Island/VCU and the word was literally used 3 times in one minute about rather ordinary things. Then, I watched Illinois Chicago/Oakland and it was used multiple times again. I challenge anyone, count the number of times you hear the word versus the number of times something unbelievable actually happens. It’s a sad ratio for today’s broadcaster.

Bill Czaja
The middle number please (4738): 0

Re: Unbelieveable....

#33 Post by Bill Czaja » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:23 pm

It's all about that demo reel moment. People, including some of our peers in hiring positions, do not appreciate slow and steady. They mistake ENERGY! for good broadcasting. How often did you hear ENERGY! out of Scully, Harwell, Jack Buck, etc.?

ssteve

Re: Unbelievable....

#34 Post by ssteve » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:38 am

Bill Czaja wrote:It's all about that demo reel moment. People, including some of our peers in hiring positions, do not appreciate slow and steady. They mistake ENERGY! for good broadcasting.
At times that is true. The problem is it also used in ordinary sentences describing relatively ordinary and very believable things. It’s so overused.

Bill Czaja

#35 Post by Bill Czaja » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:41 am

That's what I'm getting at. People are thinking about a demo track, rather than a good broadcast. The first should come naturally from the second.

ssteve

#36 Post by ssteve » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:43 pm

Doug Gottlieb just said UCLA’s Aaron Holliday is having an unbelievable year. He’s averaging 19 points, 3 rebounds, and 5 assists per game. He’s also shooting the three well. But unless he’s doing it with one arm or one leg or something, it’s a very nice season, but very believable.

Jon Chelesnik

#37 Post by Jon Chelesnik » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:08 am

LOVE these two comments . . .
That's what I'm getting at. People are thinking about a demo track, rather than a good broadcast. The first should come naturally from the second.
Doug Gottlieb just said UCLA’s Aaron Holliday is having an unbelievable year. He’s averaging 19 points, 3 rebounds, and 5 assists per game. He’s also shooting the three well. But unless he’s doing it with one arm or one leg or something, it’s a very nice season, but very believable.
Another phrase that drives me nuts is "shocked the world." There are 2 billion people in China who could care less that the Eagles beat the Patriots.

JimRiley

#38 Post by JimRiley » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:08 pm

A very ironic thread. Discussing the lazy, hackneyed phraseology we should all avoid by citing major network examples
"They have their hands cut out for them." J. Vilma 11/23/18

ssteve

#39 Post by ssteve » Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:57 pm

Todd Blackledge couldn't wait. 2nd play from scrimmage used the "U" word to describe an LSU defensive player's play after who recording a tackle for loss and was unblocked.