Covid-19 worries related to pay

Gather around for news and rumors about the industry
pbpisfun
antispam: No
The middle number please (4738): 4738

Covid-19 worries related to pay

#1 Post by pbpisfun » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:06 am

Something someone smarter than me might know.....

This coronavirus has me wondering and a little scared. If football season gets canceled, a lot of us independent contractors could be in big financial trouble. I know I am saving as much as I can now. My question is, if we are independent contractors, and our football season is canceled, meaning our main income is wiped out, can we apply for unemployment benefits? Would our employer have to "fire" us temporarily for that to happen? Would some of the new guidelines put in place recently to help relieve some of the restaurant workers, etc., apply to broadcasters who are free lance/independent contractors if the football season is wiped away?

Is there an employment expert out there that knows?

I have a friend who's husband is a landscape guy who basically gardens, plants bushes, and mows lawns for rich people in the summer. In the winter, he is "laid off" by the landscape company, and he goes on unemployment because where they live there's no gardening or mowing in the winter. I wonder if this would be something some of us should look at? I mean let's face it, if football season is canceled, there aren't going to be a bunch of bartender or Uber jobs open to take.

I'm not trying to push the panic button, but I'm also trying to look ahead at all scenarios. I think we will play football, but the Green Bay Packers sent out a letter to season tickets holders this week telling them what would happen to their money if the football season was pushed back or canceled. That was the first time I got concerned about this.

Any thoughts? Jon, is this something we all should be brainstorming ideas on?

Jon Chelesnik

Re: Covid-19 worries related to pay

#2 Post by Jon Chelesnik » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:28 am

You're smart to be thinking ahead.

You ask a great question about unemployment. I sure wish I had an answer. I'm confident folks will be eager to share ideas here.

I share your confidence that there will be a football season. However, if there's one thing we've come to expect in recent weeks, it's the unexpected.

Anyone with insight or ideas about the unemployment question, please do share them. Let's do our best to help each other.

Scott_Sudikoff
The middle number please (4738): 0

#3 Post by Scott_Sudikoff » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:51 pm

I believe it would depend on how much of your work is W2 vs. 1099. I tried filing for unemployment through my W2 jobs, but I didn’t earn enough in the 3rd quarter of 2019 that way to qualify. That’s in Illinois, could be different in different states.

As a freelancer, most of us do make the bulk of our income 1099 style.

I’ve had more jobs recently switch to W2, but not enough unfortunately to make a difference.

Hopefully everyone has a good accountant and can get you a good tax refund!

Scott_Sudikoff
The middle number please (4738): 0

#4 Post by Scott_Sudikoff » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:55 pm

Also there are a couple of GoFundMe’s going around trying to help people in our situation.