Getting Reps

Gather around for news and rumors about the industry
catbacker
The middle number please (4738): 0

Getting Reps

#1 Post by catbacker » Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:29 pm

So a bit of a bone to pick and an observation. I'm fortunate enough to be able to call HS games for a team here in Oregon and have a conflict next Friday night, so I'm looking for someone to fill in. I do this as a contract employee for the radio station that broadcasts the games, and they are pretty bare bones, so no one at the station itself could cover. I'm a part of a FB page for Broadcasters (fun site, lots of posting of clips, etc) and sent out a plea for help (a long shot, granted). The responses I got were as follows..."If I was only 2500 miles closer" "I'm working that night.." "I wish...." ugh.

So then I thought..."Hey, there are 2 major Universities right in the backyard where the game is being played...surely there would be some college student looking for reps." Called and emailed both Stations at the Universities. A couple of times. Response? Zero. Not even an acknowledgement that they received the email or call.

I read about all the youngsters out there screaming and crying for opportunities, yet either they, or others who manage their stations, are mute when a chance is afforded them. And some pocket money to boot. Times have changed. I am still resistant to being the angry old man on the porch yelling at the kids to get off the lawn, but then this situation unfolds and it makes me wonder about just how hard some are working to get better at this CRAFT.

We now resume regular programming.

Jon Chelesnik

Re: Getting Reps

#2 Post by Jon Chelesnik » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:51 am

When similar opportunities are available in other parts of the country, there is no shortage of folks wanting to take advantage of them.

Other than the U. of Oregon, I don't know of any schools in the state that have a broadcasting program. It doesn't mean there aren't any -- only that I've never met broadcasting grads from any school but Oregon.

Perhaps the lack of response was simply due to lack of play-by-play folks living in the area.