Baseball demo

Gather around for news and rumors about the industry
ssteve

Baseball demo

#1 Post by ssteve » Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:23 pm

Time is nearing where we will begin sending out baseball demos. I have a nice, clean and unedited segment from a recent game I'd like to use. It's 5:30 long, but not a full half inning. It stops at a pitching change. If I edit together the rest of the half inning AFTER we come back from the break and the pitching change, it's about 8:30 minutes long. What would you do - the 5:30 up to the change and risk not being long enough, or edit them together which technically is edited and perhaps too long??

JesseG-S

Re: Baseball demo

#2 Post by JesseG-S » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:01 am

In my opinion, you should put the two segments together and have an 8:30 demo complete half-inning. That length is not too long in my book, and the half-inning will feel complete. I'm unbothered by the edit putting it together.

Jon Chelesnik

#3 Post by Jon Chelesnik » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:55 am

Agree -- use the complete half inning. Good question!

Bob Rotruck

#4 Post by Bob Rotruck » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:43 am

Not a big deal to go a little longer.
One job I landed 20 years ago, back in the era of cassettes, I included a really long, full inning that included a pitching change. Nuke the commercials in the middle and it was 25 minutes or so. Big deal. If they receive 4 minutes but kind of want more there is a chance they might just move on to the next candidate and then eventually not even get around to asking for more from you when they find somebody else they like better.

That GM who hired me popped my cassette in and then went about doing some other work at his desk. Next thing he knew, he had gone 20 minutes of listening to my call without even thinking about it. That's when he decided there must be something to my style if "listening to 20 minutes doesn't even feel like 20 minutes." Something like that.

It is easier for them to stop your demo anytime they want then for them to say, "Hey, that was kind of shorter than what we were thinking. Can you send more stuff?" (especially when there are 50-100 candidates that they are getting to).

There really is no right or wrong answer here. But quibbling between 5:30 vs. 8:30 is kind of over-thinking it. Take your best stuff and use it.
Lehigh Valley Phantoms hockey in Allentown, Pennsylvania. AHL affiliate of the Philadelphia Flyers.

JimRiley
The middle number please (4738): 0

#5 Post by JimRiley » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:33 am

The longer, the better. We all have stuff that makes us sound like Scully for two minutes. And Bob is dead on when he says evaluators can manipulate a longer demo for their preferences
"They have their hands cut out for them." J. Vilma 11/23/18