Media Notes

Gather around for news and rumors about the industry
JimRiley
The middle number please (4738): 0

Media Notes

#1 Post by JimRiley » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:04 am

Stumbled across this week's Philadelphia Eagles game note pack. 271 pages!!!!!!!!!!!!! A lot of it is boilerplate stuff that stays intact each week but even with that removed you're looking at 200+ worth of current material

Has anyone worked with anything close to that? I like having a lot to choose from but is it too much?
"They have their hands cut out for them." J. Vilma 11/23/18

nrohr55
antispam: No
The middle number please (4738): 4738

Re: Media Notes

#2 Post by nrohr55 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:40 am

That's astonishing. Nowhere near as big, but plenty sizable when I ran into it: The Colorado Football game notes, when they and Nebraska were both members of the Big 12. Most notes packs are around 50 pages, especially by the end of the year, when Nebraska and Colorado usually met. The Buffs pack usually approached 70 pages

Jon Chelesnik

#3 Post by Jon Chelesnik » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:02 pm

I used to take those huge game notes packs, boil then down to stuff I would actually use on the air, then create my own game notes packets.

It was time consuming, but it helped me internalize the info. It was kinda like making a cheat sheet in high school. (So I'm told).

Bill Czaja
The middle number please (4738): 0

#4 Post by Bill Czaja » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:13 am

The two gods of press notes are Doug Greenwald, when we worked at the same time in the old Texas-Louisiana League - he's been in Fresno for about 15 seasons now - and the late Jim Schneider, who was SID for Michigan baseball from the days of Bud Middaugh to the time of Rich Maloney. If it wasn't in their notes, it probably wasn't worth knowing.

Bob Rotruck

#5 Post by Bob Rotruck » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:29 am

Some major league teams will print off an entire packet of just the league stats which can be 100 pages or so. I've run across that before. That's in addition to whatever else from their team and the opposing team they are throwing at you.

When I had the opportunity to attend all 7 games of the 2009 Stanley Cup Final (PIT vs. DET) the amount of notes and newspaper clips was pretty impressive. Probably 100+ pages solely of all the various newspaper/online articles I think.
And it was mounds upon mounds of paper on the occasions I've attended the NCAA basketball tournament as media.

Much of it is a colossal waste of paper. There has been a movement to try to cut down on some of that with digital and pdf, etc. But you get enough people who complain that it is a pain to scroll through their screen to read bios or stats.

American Hockey League has not provided a hard-copy of the Media-Guide and Record Book for maybe 10 years or so which was before I arrived. You receive a disc or a link to download (which just arrived in my inbox today actually). Kind of a pain to scroll through the 300+ pages on your computer to find whatever info you might be looking for. But you always have the option of printing it off yourself if you so choose...which I do for most years while also eliminating some pages I'm less interested in.
Lehigh Valley Phantoms hockey in Allentown, Pennsylvania. AHL affiliate of the Philadelphia Flyers.