Having a thick skin

Gather around for news and rumors about the industry
Marty Bannister 1
antispam: No
The middle number please (4738): 4738
Which school do you like the most: USC

Having a thick skin

#1 Postby Marty Bannister 1 » Fri May 19, 2017 6:35 am

I was just curious as to how others felt on a topic I know we have all been through...when you get word colleagues are "bashing" your work or abilities. I know I've tried to keep any of that to myself, but I would gather most of us at one time or another have slipped up and done the same. We all have egos, and think our work is great, and do get stung when we get wind someone is hammering us. I don't put much into fan "trolling" on the internet, but do engage fans at times if I think the criticism is unfair. Anyway, was just wondering...do you let it roll off your back...do you confront that person and ask why? How thick is your skin?

ssteve

Re: Having a thick skin

#2 Postby ssteve » Fri May 19, 2017 1:50 pm

You have to let it roll off. I remind myself that my work is heard by thousands or people, so the chances of your work being liked by 100 percent of your audience are slim. I also tell myself I hope people will criticize my play-by-play for decades. That means I stayed around a while, regardless of what anyone thought.

Jon Chelesnik

#3 Postby Jon Chelesnik » Sun May 21, 2017 8:43 am

I agree -- let it go. Only bad would result from you saying something. When people criticize others, the issues are theirs, not of the person who is being targeted.

Stay above the fray. Be bigger than them.

Mike McBride
The middle number please (4738): 0

#4 Postby Mike McBride » Sun May 21, 2017 1:39 pm

Agree. Let it go. There are people who think Bob Costas is a hack, and he literally goes decades at a time without misspeaking or stumbling on the air. A 100 percent approval rating is unattainable in this business. Let the naysayers go on with their miserable lives and keep doing what you do.

LA_Riot

#5 Postby LA_Riot » Mon May 22, 2017 6:13 pm

I generally avoid posting links to my blog on these forums, but my most recent post features advice from prominent broadcasters across the country on how they deal with fan comments and social media. I hope you find it helpful. http://tinyurl.com/kqx4643
Check out my sportscasting blog and podcast at http://www.saythedamnscore.com/

JimRiley
The middle number please (4738): 0

#6 Postby JimRiley » Thu May 25, 2017 2:22 pm

Sometimes you need to see yourself as others do. Maybe they don't know anything but there's something about you they don't like. Take that part of the critique into consideration if you can. Then just ignore the blowhards
"They have their hands cut out for them." J. Vilma 11/23/18

Brian Crozier

#7 Postby Brian Crozier » Thu May 25, 2017 3:44 pm

JimRiley wrote:Sometimes you need to see yourself as others do. Maybe they don't know anything but there's something about you they don't like. Take that part of the critique into consideration if you can. Then just ignore the blowhards

I agree with this. There is no broadcaster that will have 100 percent of their audience love them 100 percent of the time. However, I do think we should take what others are saying and give it proper weight when evaluating our own work. If it is some yahoo that doesn't know anything about broadcasting, then you probably should just let it roll off your back. But, if it comes from someone that has a good ear or someone that does know what they're talking about, then I would say that you should give their comments more consideration. Maybe they have heard something that you have missed in your own previous evaluations. In my opinion - Turning the criticism into a chance for improvement is the best way to handle said criticism.

Return to “Sports Radio Water Cooler”