90 Days

Gather around for news and rumors about the industry
SLCSPORTS
antispam: No
The middle number please (4738): 4738

Re: 90 Days

#31 Postby SLCSPORTS » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:30 am

Today I am grateful for transportation to and from the games we broadcast, it might be an old 1994 Nissan Sentra )thanks for taking me to the University of Wyoming for the ladies game featuring Weber State) or it might be a 2005 Mercedes Goofy (thanks for taking me to all those games at Dixie State University) the cars buses and the people who help us get to where we are going in life are some of the most overlooked folks anywhere. And I for one and grateful for all of them and for all of the machines that help us do our jobs.

SLCSPORTS

#32 Postby SLCSPORTS » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:55 am

Today I am grateful for the many opportunities that have come my way in broadcasting. I have been able to call Weber State football and basketball games, in Louisiana, as well as games in Wyoming and in Idaho. At SLCC going to Coeur D'Alene and Las Vegas, and Missouri were all once in a lifetime experiences. At Dixie for going to Dixie High School, Hurricane High. doing the Rotary Bowl at Legends Solar Field and all the many games I did at Burns Arena. These places and opportunities have been very instrumental in how I approach teaching and learning and how I approach broadcasting today.

SLCSPORTS

#33 Postby SLCSPORTS » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:03 am

Today I am grateful for snow because of the way snow settles with air pockets in between each flake it traps the audio waves inside of itself and thus it produces a quieter sounding area. Perhaps this is why blown insulation is one of the more effective ways of sound proofing. It is also the shape, namely triangles of the snowflakes that helps cut down on the audio waves being reflected ensuring a smooth quiet listening experience. So, when the snow falls we really do experience a more silent night. It snowed here today in Utah where I am, about 4-6 inches of the powdery substance sank to the ground.

SLCSPORTS

#34 Postby SLCSPORTS » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:02 am

Today I am grateful for radio waves and the inventions that have helped establish radio as a viable medium for transmitting information to the mass audience. It seems that phones are taking over this realm with social media but radio should be able to survive if it can adapt as it has done in the past. I have suggested many times to owners and managers alike that stations start following the trend to have 15 second spots after each song rather than 6-12 min stop sets two to three times per hour. This will increase listener retention during the spots as it does on You Tube and it will achieve more revenue for the stations as they will be able to play more spots per hour.

Jon Chelesnik

#35 Postby Jon Chelesnik » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:14 am

Great job, Paul. Impressed by your discipline in doing this. I'm enjoying reading your posts.

SLCSPORTS

#36 Postby SLCSPORTS » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:28 am

Today I'm grateful for other play-by-play guys who do their job I remember driving back from Olympia Washington through the blue hills mountains of Idaho and listening to the 2005 championship game. Texas was able to come up with the victory in a thrilling contest. I'm not sure who was on the play-by-play while I was driving and listening to the radio station but I distinctly remember making sure that I could listen all the way up through the Snake River on I-80 all the way through Oregon that was wonderful.

SLCSPORTS

#37 Postby SLCSPORTS » Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:53 pm

Today I am thankful for church
Any church that helps you be a better person
I know I need all the religion/church I can get.

SLCSPORTS

#38 Postby SLCSPORTS » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:09 am

Today I a grateful for technology, I remember talking a new producer through the proper steps to put us on the air over the phone with 3 min left before tip off. No stress at all, right!
I can also remember a time when everything went totally smooth, not even a single missed Que on the breaks. I later found out that more than 100,000 people had been listening in to the Championship match between Salt Lake Community College and Miami Dade. SLCC lost but it was great to call a national championship contest.

SLCSPORTS

#39 Postby SLCSPORTS » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:48 am

Mentors are the secret to much of our success in life and I am grateful for several mentors. First Dr. Chase who after teaching for more than 20 years at SLCC choose me to come and help him establish a radio station at Dixie State University. Of all of his students and colleagues in the business he choose me to help him put KXDS on the air. That was a great honor and I thank him for the opportunity. I also wish to thank Leslie Stringham who helped me become a traffic reporter and producer, I volunteered for 30 days before she let me take the position. I have to admit I was close to quitting when she took me into her office and asked me if I wanted to work as a traffic reporter/producer. I also wish to thank Tom who worked as the full time News reporter for Metro Networks who took me under his wing and taught me how to write news articles for a mass audience. I think it all started with Ty from Weber State University who wrote on one of my air checks " I don't think you will be able to keep up the energy you have in this air check for a career" that motivated me to attempt to prove him wrong. There are many more mentors in my life but these are the ones who have really made an impact on my radio broadcasting Career.

SLCSPORTS

#40 Postby SLCSPORTS » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:00 am

So last night I went out to get the mail, in nothing but my socks. Normally, in April or June this is fine but last night it was 22 degrees and my socks stuck to the pavement. After 10 or 15 steps I took off my socks, Mistake! By the time I got to the mailbox my feet felt like they were on fire. I have been told that this is the first stages of frostbite. they were colder than a well diggers bum. I felt that they were going to fall off. My mailbox is only 10 yards downfield so I thought I would be able to make it there and back. It felt as thought there were 20 defenders trying to take me out with ankle tackles. I hurried back into the house and warmed up my feet, by putting on a new pair of socks.
So today I am grateful for socks.

Yesterday was our end of term so I wasn't able to post.
But I will say that yesterday I felt very grateful for children and the joy they bring into the lives of others. I wrote two letters home praising several children in my classes. I got a phone call from a dad, who just lost his wife a few months ago. He told me that he had been having difficulty with his son, and that the letter home was the first positive news he has had. He said through tears that he struggles to be mom and dad and that he loved his son, he was pretty chocked up and I told him his son was wonderful and that he was a great mom and dad. So I am thankful for children and the joy they bring to all.

SLCSPORTS

#41 Postby SLCSPORTS » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:44 am

Today I am happy that I have DirectV and I can watch it nearly anywhere, with more than 250 channels. Back in the good ol' days of yesteryear, when I grew up we had 3 channels and a 4th if you could adjust the rabbit ears just right. We watched whatever was programmed and today we can stream an entire show from start to finish.

SLCSPORTS

#42 Postby SLCSPORTS » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:20 pm

Sorry I have slacked on this for the last few days.

I am thankful for the eyes in my head without them I would not be able to see the action, and even though I am older and wear glasses now I still feel comfortable doing a game. Take my glasses off of me and I may not be able to tell, and or hit a broad side of a barn with a bullet as big a baseball.

I am also grateful for the home that I have it keeps me dry and keeps me warm most of the time...last week the heater went out
I am also grateful for insurance policies...Had to use it to fix the heater last week when it went out. Home insurance is a great thing to have.

I am also grateful for my brother Clinton Bulkley, he listened to my early tapes when he was younger and even though he did not know it when he talked to me about it he inspired me to continue on in my studies of Radio and Announcing.
I am also grateful for this place where I can post things that I enjoy and that I find gratifying.

Jon Chelesnik

#43 Postby Jon Chelesnik » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:04 pm

Keep it up, Paul. Well done!

SLCSPORTS

#44 Postby SLCSPORTS » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:51 am

Today I am thankful for all of the positions that are out there. When I was seeking a job as a play by play guy there was nothing like STAA. The internet had just been born to the masses, so today I am grateful for the many opportunities that are out there for young guys to go get started in this business. And I am grateful for a place where you can find those jobs easily. Thanks Jon for building this site, and keeping it going throughout the years.

SLCSPORTS

#45 Postby SLCSPORTS » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:00 am

Today I am grateful for sunshine.

Return to “Sports Radio Water Cooler”