Demo requirements

Gather around for news and rumors about the industry
ssteve

Demo requirements

#1 Post by ssteve » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:06 pm

This question is mostly addressed to Jon, but I would love other feedback or questions on this as well. I WILL NOT apply for the first D-1 football/basketball job posted last week as I don't meet the requirements as they pertain to experience. However, the application guidelines do cause me to wonder.
8 continuous minutes is the most I have ever heard of, and I'm curious if the upcoming jobs soon to be released will require the same samples. My football demo is, I believe, a very nice call of a touchdown drive lasting probably 5 or 6 plays that is 5:30 - 6:00 long. I have always heard too much more than that normally doesn't even get heard anyway because decision makers usually know pretty quickly if they like or don't like someone. Also, not that I make a lot of mistakes, but to find an 8 minute continuous clip without making a mistake, Freudian slip, or some other mechanical broadcasting mistake you don't want someone else to hear is VERY hard in the first place - let alone for it to end with a score (which also, I've heard, is required). Or, perhaps I'm being too picky on what I save. Again, I don't make a lot of mistakes, but when you want to apply for a job you want perfection, and 8 minutes of perfection without some sort of even small mistake isn't always easy to find.
So the question is, will my 5 and a half to 6 minute football clip not going to work for the upcoming openings? Same for basketball. 8 straight minutes of basketball - even with good action, has so much down time with free throws, turnovers, official reviews, etc. So I try to keep my stuff to 5-6 minutes tops and that's all I even save. Your advice would be appreciated. Thanks!