Game Re-Creation

Gather around for news and rumors about the industry
JesseG-S

Game Re-Creation

#1 Post by JesseG-S » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:33 am

In August each year, I re-create a baseball game to pay homage to the way broadcasters often called games in the 1930s through 1950s. (This year, my scheduled throwback game will be on Tuesday, Aug. 12th.)

If you would like to give it a try, it's exhausting but rewarding:

1. Set up comfortably somewhere you can message back and forth with someone watching the game.
2. Pipe in some canned crowd noise behind you (I just record ambient sound from an earlier game).
3. Slapping a ball into a glove provides the perfect sound for a swing and a miss, or when a batter takes a pitch.
4. The crack of the bat is far tougher; in the past, I've tried cracking either two bats or two mini-bats against one another, but the sound hasn't been right. If you come up with something that works better, I'm all ears.

I encourage you to give it your best effort, and most definitely enjoy yourself.

Jesse Goldberg-Strassler
Lansing Lugnuts

ktomasch
antispam: No
The middle number please (4738): 4738

Re: Game Re-Creation

#2 Post by ktomasch » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:53 pm

I applaud that you do this, young man. It's an homage to an era that most of us are even too young to remember (and we're old).

There is an art and a skill and a craft to being able to see the action in front of you and describe it quickly and accurately to paint a picture for folks who can't see it. There's more of all that in the recreation.

I wish more of the 40s/50s/60s recreations existed online. The stories that have been written about those guys are terrific.

How'd it go?
Retired as of 11/1/2012. Mostly.