FOX Bowl Coverage is horrible

Gather around for news and rumors about the industry
gsuradio
The middle number please (4738): 0

FOX Bowl Coverage is horrible

#1 Post by gsuradio » Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:11 pm

How bad can Fox be with BCS College Football. I don't care if they have 28 cameras...Their pre-game is horrible...Summerall is a legend but...please...time for someone else. Kenny Albert????Kenny Albert????you talk about nepotism at its finest....He is awful....Not to mention the laziest halftime show in the world...Sure I like the sound of the college bands to add to the atmosphere but to simply show both bands during the Cotton Bowl with no analysis or breakdown is LAZY...LAZY....

Scott_Sudikoff

#2 Post by Scott_Sudikoff » Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:33 pm

Well then you should be happy that ESPN is getting the BCS in a few years.

tlcoverdale

#3 Post by tlcoverdale » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:20 pm

Audio problems during the Cotton Bowl were horrendous, but I'll give them credit for showing the bands. That's actually tradition, something the other 3 networks have done at bowl games for years, and ABC, once in a while, used to show portions of the halftimes on their national GOTW. A little recognition for those folks is nice, rather than sending viewers to some typical "Halftime Report".

Personally, I don't need the talking heads giving analysis all the time; the stupid overpopulated studio shows actually don't tell anyone anything worthwhile as it is, other than to be a chucklefest.

Honestly, what analysis will anyone give at halftime other to say that they were all wrong about Alabama's ability to dominate Utah? "Huh, huh; boy were we wrong about the talent the Utes have. They've made everybody look bad."

No [censored]!

ReporterRMH

#4 Post by ReporterRMH » Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:47 am

FOX shows the halftime bands, yes--nice tradition.

But they cut to the bands WAAAYYYY too much during the actual game. During Monday's Fiesta Bowl count how many times they cut to the freaking tuba section (and others).

Irks me to no end.

duckie

#5 Post by duckie » Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:14 pm

I actually think their coverage has improved compared to last year. But that said, it's still not great. Last year they would cut to the same group of fans for "reaction" shots after seemingly every play...ala FOX baseball coverage. Too many bad sideline reports and reporters though. Thank God ESPN will have the BCS soon.

steve2526

#6 Post by steve2526 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:17 pm

ReporterRMH wrote:FOX shows the halftime bands, yes--nice tradition.

But they cut to the bands WAAAYYYY too much during the actual game. During Monday's Fiesta Bowl count how many times they cut to the freaking tuba section (and others).

Irks me to no end.
I'll add my irk -- during the Rose Bowl, it seemed like ABC had a crowd mic near the USC band. You could hear them every time they played, but hardly ever heard the Blue Band.

I'm talking about between plays, not after touchdowns -- that was a whole different matter!!! :lol: :roll:

Marky

#7 Post by Marky » Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:53 pm

First thing I wanted to say is I think Summerall did a fine job.

The other was point out a few years ago Sports Illustrated had a list of "things you don't see on TV anymore" and one was "marching bands televised at halftime."

I would bet, however, the reason they showed them was because they really didn't have anything else to air. It was the first sporting event of the day. It wasn't as if there were any other college football highlights to show from other games.

It was show the marching band or have a human-interest story about the game or its participants.

Airing the marching band is cheaper.

Nick Devlin

#8 Post by Nick Devlin » Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:19 pm

Apart from boring me to tears, I have no problems with showing the bands.

Marky

#9 Post by Marky » Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:25 pm

I agree, Nick, and hereby vow to oppose all things marching band until the Pitt band plays "The Theme to the Pink Panther" every time the Panthers make a first down.

It's a natural.

ReporterRMH

#10 Post by ReporterRMH » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:21 am

Marky wrote: I would bet, however, the reason they showed them was because they really didn't have anything else to air. It was the first sporting event of the day. It wasn't as if there were any other college football highlights to show from other games.

It was show the marching band or have a human-interest story about the game or its participants.

Airing the marching band is cheaper.
Gee, how about previewing the upcoming BCS Bowls games so you make sure everybody watching is aware of you have bigger games coming up. I enjoy watching the bands (sometimes) but I'd also like to hear a small preview.

JimRiley

#11 Post by JimRiley » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:31 am

I am still waiting for the return of the Firemen's Fund Flashback

gsuradio

#12 Post by gsuradio » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:50 pm

I certainly understand the traditions of the marching bands and have no problem with a closing :90 second feature on each of the bands going into break. However, my real critique was on the two horrendous hosts....No mention of upcoming bowls, some of the key moments and plays of the first half, nothing but complete shallow halftime coverage. In other words, it was phoned in.

I agree that seeing and hearing Summerall is great and for his age, he is great, but it is simply nostalgic, not necessarily great. Baldinger is sub-par at best and one that I frequently call "captain obvious". For those who have not been blessed to have Baldinger on Fox's NFC coverage with Brian Billick and Dick Stockton have not seen Baldinger's talking parrot regurgitation of Billick's analysis.

Fox has done great work this year and in past years but that specific broadcast was "phoned" in...If not for a great game on the field a complete bore.

Great to read all of the opinions, just wanted clarify, must admit, I was dumbfounded by the technical gaffes and lame broadcasting and got type-happy.

CSB

D. Ormay

Re: FOX Bowl Coverage is horrible

#13 Post by D. Ormay » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:17 am

Agree about the showing of crowd shots. Networks, Fox in particular, but all to some degree, seem to think that we at home want to see pictures of other people watching the game.

I don't. I tuned in to see the game, not other people watching the game.
Doug Ormay
University of Louisville football sideline reporter/basketball analyst

Joe Davis

#14 Post by Joe Davis » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:39 pm

Am I the only one that CAN NOT STAND Charles Davis?

And Brenneman made me uncomfortable tonight. He didn't seem himself... Seemed to be trying too hard to sound like someone he's not.
Joe Davis
Voice of the Montgomery Biscuits
Double-A Affiliate of the Tampa Bay Rays
http://www.hearjoedavis.com/

Broadcast Junkie

#15 Post by Broadcast Junkie » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:00 am

We are all broadcasters (or up and coming). We critique these guys worse than just about anybody else. I don't think the average fan is even giving his full attention to the play by play guys in a televised game.