The Tex Machine!

Gather around for news and rumors about the industry

duckie

#2 Post by duckie » Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:57 am

Sterling is an example of an announcer who is much more about himself than what's actually happening on the field. A friend of mine saw him speak at a banquet once, and Sterling actually asked the crowd if they wanted to hear a particular dramatic playoff call. He turned his back to the crowd to "get into character", and then proceeded to "perform" the call into the microphone in front of the crowd. How completely self-serving and tacky. Just like trying to decide what your Teixeira homerun call will be before the guy has even worn pinstripes.

Paul Van Scott

#3 Post by Paul Van Scott » Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:08 pm

duckie wrote:Sterling is an example of an announcer who is much more about himself than what's actually happening on the field. A friend of mine saw him speak at a banquet once, and Sterling actually asked the crowd if they wanted to hear a particular dramatic playoff call. He turned his back to the crowd to "get into character", and then proceeded to "perform" the call into the microphone in front of the crowd. How completely self-serving and tacky. Just like trying to decide what your Teixeira homerun call will be before the guy has even worn pinstripes.
That is the kind of stuff that makes me nauseous. That being said, how about a home run call of "Now theres a TEX message you can't ignore". BTW does he think he'll be the first one ever to call a home run the guy hits? Thats how he's acting.

steve2526
The middle number please (4738): 0

Define Good

#4 Post by steve2526 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:09 am

Dan Graves wrote:Good broadcasters, like Sterling and the Chiefs Mitch Holthus, can get away with hokie, pre-determined catch phrases. Great broadcasters, like Al Michaels and Jim Nantz, don't need them.
You may be the first to use 'good' and 'Sterling' in the same sentence. :D :shock:

Nick Devlin
The middle number please (4738): 0

#5 Post by Nick Devlin » Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:16 pm

"I’ll come up with something truly spectacular that all Yankee fans will appreciate, and opposing fans will hate because my calls are so infantile"

Definitely satire.

Marky

#6 Post by Marky » Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:54 am

I've always liked Sterling.

Maybe it was because when I once saw him at Atlanta Fulton-County Stadium handling kids begging him to go into the locker room and pull out Dale Murphy for autographs with respect, friendliness and class instead of insulting them.

Maybe it's because I heard the guy the Braves replaced him with. Say what you will about Sterling- but he was better than Billy Sample was.

Maybe because "THE YANKEES WIN! THUUUUUUUUUUUUUH YANKEES WIN!" is one of the last great victory calls- along the lines of "We had 'em allllll the way" by Bob Prince and "NOOOOOOO Doubt about it!" by Lanny Frattare.

And I know the criticisms of Sterling. In his defense- Milo Hamilton also wrote out what he would say when Hank Aaron hit his 715th home run.

Sterling also suffers from the best and worst of being in New York. On one hand, if Sterling was doing this as the Voice of the Tampa Bay Rays he likely wouldn't get the criticism he does as a homer from the NY media and would have a following locally.

When he was in Atlanta he got press like "Top 10 eligible bachelors in Atlanta" instead of Phil Mushnick's criticisms.

On the other hand, as the Voice of the Rays he wouldn't have a national reputation like he does with the Yanks.

Remember when discussing self-promotion- Sterling came up through sports talk ranks many, many years ago.

A sports talk host, by definition, must be a self-promoter.