Breaking into college football/basketball broadcasting

Gather around for news and rumors about the industry
Joe Davis

Breaking into college football/basketball broadcasting

#1 Post by Joe Davis » Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:32 am

First, I'd like to say hello to everyone. I've enjoyed these forums for almost a year now, but just now finally got registered. Thanks to everyone who helps make this site a must-visit for all sportscasters.

It seems that 75% of the jobs posted are in baseball. I know that there are more minor league baseball franchises than there are franchises of any other sport, and that right now is baseball-hiring time, but I hardly ever see any college football/basketball jobs listed -- and that's my impression at all times of the year, not just right now.

Is this simply because there are that many more openings in baseball than, for example, CBA, NDBL, or college? Or are those openings just more difficult to find? I know that there are several small-market high school PBP opportunities posted here, but how does one go about breaking into the college football/basketball scene, since it seems the opportunities don't present themselves as frequently.

Thanks!

Stu Paul
The middle number please (4738): 0

#2 Post by Stu Paul » Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:26 am

Hi Joe!

First of all, welcome to the board and thank you for your post.

Based on my own experiences, the best advice that I can give you is to check out the Universities and Colleges and contact the SIDs and Athletic Directors. You can always e-mail your MP3s and any talent pages to these people and also, a lot of communications companies such as Learfield and ISP are also the rights holders for many prestigious universities and you might want to contact them. Tom Boman handles the hiring for Learfield, but he also wants to look for more than just a broadcaster, but a liason and ambassador for the school. What that means is that you will need to be available for banquets, appearances and other community-related events and speaking engagements as well.

There have been a list of openings on this board and other boards. Of course, basketball season ends in April, so the best time would be to seek these jobs would be during the spring and summer. The NBDL and CBA are good sources to look into as well.

For starters, I hope this will help. Also, DO NOT rule out Division II and Division III schools either. I know that it would be a lot of work and it is time-consuming, but being a detective and the effort that you put in is what eventually will land you a job.

Of course, these jobs are not easy to land, but they are not impossible either. Best of luck. Also if a football/men's basketball job is not available, don't hesitate to contact those schools and see if a women's basketball and/or a college hockey opening is. Don't rule out those assignments either. The more contacts you make, the better it will be for you. Anyway, take care and Happy Holidays to you. Looking forward to seeing you on future posts.

Stu

radiorat

#3 Post by radiorat » Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:23 pm

I had the opportunity to fill in on a D-I men's basketball game the other day. The week prior I called a local D-3 school and JuCo school and asked their representatives to listen to the game and if they liked my work to please get in touch with me. By the way all you guys straight out of college (I just graduated last week) I did the D-I game for FREE. Knowing it would pay off in the end.

They both liked my work. I'm doing road games for one school and home games for the other this season. When you are lucky enough to get an opportunity, you still have to go out the next day (or in my case the week before) and create the next opportunity.

Scott_Sudikoff
The middle number please (4738): 0

#4 Post by Scott_Sudikoff » Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:42 pm

radiorat wrote:I had the opportunity to fill in on a D-I men's basketball game the other day. The week prior I called a local D-3 school and JuCo school and asked their representatives to listen to the game and if they liked my work to please get in touch with me. By the way all you guys straight out of college (I just graduated last week) I did the D-I game for FREE. Knowing it would pay off in the end.

They both liked my work. I'm doing road games for one school and home games for the other this season. When you are lucky enough to get an opportunity, you still have to go out the next day (or in my case the week before) and create the next opportunity.
I'm doing some D3 work in January for free. Its completely worth it. I'd rather do play-by-play for a basketball game than sit at home doing nothing. Helps you stay sharp.

In college, I paid my way many times to broadcast D1 basketball and football and it was completely worth it as well. To one day get paid to do D1 announcing would be a dream come true!

cingle

#5 Post by cingle » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:19 pm

I do men's and women's basketball, softball, and baseball for a D1 school. The basketball is just for personal experience but we are the voice of softball and half of the baseball season. I am a student so the stuff is done for free, but any experience that can be gained always helps you as a sportscaster.

ReporterRMH

#6 Post by ReporterRMH » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:49 pm

Contact the SID or Communications Director directly.

A simple email of who you are and what you are looking for is the easiest. Don't make it a long email, DO copy and paste your resume with the email so they can continue reading and not wait to look later if they have to download an attachment.

If they want a tape, have one ready (next day shipping is the best). Also tell them you can come in immediately to chat if they'd like.

I did this for a major D-I school. Never got an email reply but got a call from an associate AD/asst SID who asked if I was interested in soccer. I jumped at it and they were impressed with my skills that I moved on to basketball and softball and later did broadcasting for all their major sports.

Sometimes going "around" the system will really work. Sometimes it doesn't, but just emailing the basics (quick intro/resume) is all it takes.

You may also get a bite even if they have primary broadcasters because they want a backup (#2/3) just in case.

(also, the above method helps if you have some experience--especially with other colleges/universities)

Joe Davis

#7 Post by Joe Davis » Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:32 pm

Thanks to everyone for your replys. I'm a junior at a D3 school, so I'm getting plenty of experience here. Just thinking about the near future!