The Flint Generals will go out of business after this

Gather around for news and rumors about the industry
Marky

The Flint Generals will go out of business after this

#1 Post by Marky » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:26 pm

Did you see on Jon's headline list this gem?

http://staatalent.com/Headlines/0812/09generals.htm

Evidently, the Flint Generals of the IHL have decided to NO LONGER BROADCAST HOME GAMES!

They haven't been drawing many fans and, by golly, if we take the games off the air at home, fans won't have an excuse to stay at home!

Uh, wrong. That line of thinking went out around 1930 (though I'm surprised at how many small pro teams still adhere to it). The more media- home or away- the better.

It is not keeping anyone at home. I have never known anyone who said- "You know- I'd much rather stay at home and listen to the game on the radio than go to it."

Broadcasting home games INCREASES attendance. It INCREASES attraction. Nobody is going to adjust their schedule at work so they can go watch a losing minor league hockey team.

They might, however, put the game on in the car or at work and listen and think about going to one in the future.

Again, Flint Generals, this line of thinking is dumber than Matt Millen. There are ways to cut costs- but eliminating home games to be broadcast is akin to selling your zamboni.

tlcoverdale
The middle number please (4738): 0

Re: The Flint Generals will go out of business after this

#2 Post by tlcoverdale » Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:37 am

Marky wrote: That line of thinking went out around 1930
See: Chicago Blackhawks on TV under Bill Wirtz. That line of thinking remains in place for a good number, because it cuts costs.

Fact is, this is going to be an interesting shakeout over the next months (years?). What the minor league sports landscape looks like is going to be dramatically changed. Teams were struggling to make ends meet before, and now?

College athletics will be interesting, too, given travel costs. The NCAA actually looks smart by forcing a "cooling off" period on schools shifting from D2 to D1.