Any suggeustions on tape recorders?

Gather around for news and rumors about the industry
Rob Abreu

Any suggeustions on tape recorders?

#1 Post by Rob Abreu » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:42 pm

Hello,

Just got back from the seminar which was great and I learned so much. I really dont have any play by play experience and was looking to go to local games and do my own. My question to you experienced ones out there is what are some of the best brands or specific products you have bought for tape recording your play by play.

Scott_Sudikoff
The middle number please (4738): 0

#2 Post by Scott_Sudikoff » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:56 pm

I have an Olympus VN-2100PC, works great, easily plugs into the computer and imports the audio. I forget how much it holds, but it is plenty. Small enough to hold onto, but of course you can plug in a microphone as well. I got it about 2-3 years ago, and it was $70. So, I'm sure they have a newer/similar model for a similar price.

Also, I know some recorders come with a piece that can clip to your shirt like a lav mic, so you don't have to hold onto anything, you can just speak and it'll record.

http://www.kaboodle.com/reviews/olympus ... lectronics

johnthayer1

#3 Post by johnthayer1 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:00 am

hey Rob-

When I was in college I got a cheap voice recorder to do coaches interviews and stuff. For what you are going to use it for I would suggest not looking for the best, but for something that is fairly inexpensive. The reason I say this is because when you are eventually hired by someone they will likely have a recorder for you to use and you are just needing something to record yourself and get some experience correct? You can get something for likely under $50 that would do the trick for you. Check Ebay. They have these things all the time. Hope you find what you are looking for.
Good Luck!!

Orangeman

#4 Post by Orangeman » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:51 am

Don't go in the middle, either get something that you can use for the foreseeable future or get a cheap cassette recorder.

If you have any intentions of using what you record on a resume CD, you want it to be of the highest possible quality. That's why I'd suggest getting a very good recorder that you can run an XLR directly into and adjust the levels you are recording it. I have the Marantz PMD-660 and I love it. It seems to be popular among play-by-play guys because it's great for recording your games on site (XLR inputs), and it's small enough to do pre/post-game interviews to tape.

It's expensive, but it's worth it. In college, first I bought a cassette recorder ($30), then my next year I was told to upgrade to a good digital recorder ($200) - the sound quality was better but not great. In the end, I wish I had bought what I have now back then.

PhilGiubileo

#5 Post by PhilGiubileo » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:54 am

Because mini disc recorders are pretty much extinct b/c of the solid state recording devices that are out there, you might be able to get a good deal on ebay for one...For roughly the same price as a cassette recorder, you can get a mini disc recorder w/a mic input (albeit used), and still get a good quality sound in your demo...

Even though your intent is to practice your PBP and build your experience, you should try to have the best quality sounding audio if possible, b/c when you use that audio to create a demo tape for a job, it'll help make the overall demo sound that much better...

duaneallman80027

Olympus

#6 Post by duaneallman80027 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:52 pm

I have what I assume is a newer version of Scott's Olympus. It is an Olympus WS-110 that was provided by my station. I use it for coaches and athletes at events mostly and the sound quality is very impressive for the price. In a quiet room you can set it a good 5 ft away and get good quality sound. At events though the best quality of the recorder is that you can plug a mic in and of course you need to at a basketball court or somewhere where there is lots of background. It is very small, has plenty of room and you can erase interviews and such from the computer or the device. If you have more money you can certainly get a better one but for the price it is very, very good.

Orangeman

#7 Post by Orangeman » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:12 am

Phil brings up a good point... The sound quality on a mini-disc recorder will be perfectly fine. If you can get one cheap, that's a good option. If not, don't spend a lot of money on one since you can't connect via USB to transfer files the way you can with a digital recorder. Instead, you have to dump it in real time.