Creating Your Website

Gather around for news and rumors about the industry
Adam Amin

Creating Your Website

#1 Post by Adam Amin » Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:38 am

I was curious as to what you all use to create your websites (those of you who have them, obviously). I used WEEBLY to create a very simple site and I've bought a domain name as well. But I would like to make something a bit cleaner and I was wondering what you all use.

Also, what about MP3 hosting?

sctsports77
The middle number please (4738): 0

#2 Post by sctsports77 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:07 am

Why not just use Jon Chelesnik and this fine site...he hosts talent pages in case you're unaware of that, right here on www.staatalent.com

Check it out, and I highly recommend it!

johnthayer1

#3 Post by johnthayer1 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:37 am

yes I agree. You can post what ou need right here on STAA. As for another website if you are looking to create your own and have it more indepth then one of my buddies has created a bunch of websites using Dreamweaver. Good luck with whatever you choose.

PhilGiubileo

#4 Post by PhilGiubileo » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:17 am

Personally, I used Dreamweaver to create my site, and I like that program a lot...

However, if you're short on a budget and/or you're not great with webdesign, I am going to suggest http://www.talkspot.com. I used to work for the owner of the site many moons ago, and the technology is great--and it's free for the basic version... There's also a pay version for $70/year as well... For a resume site, you can probably get away with the free version, but I am not sure on the amount of mp3 audio you'll be able to store...

However, Orbitfiles.com allows you to create a free location to store all of your audio as well--so you can always go that route--they're also very easy to use!

SportsGuyNY

Creating Your Website

#5 Post by SportsGuyNY » Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:11 am

Does Talkspot also give you a domain name and do they host? My friend uses Yahoo Small Business and they give you domain name and webhosting.

PhilGiubileo

#6 Post by PhilGiubileo » Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:49 am

they don't give you a domain name... you can purchase one and have it attached to your site...

I think the pay version includes some hosting as well... The free version hosts your site, but I'm not sure how much additional space is given for audio files, etc...

However, if you know nothing about web programming, but can use Microsoft Word, you can have a decent looking site created in about 10 minutes...

Adam Amin

#7 Post by Adam Amin » Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:15 pm

I actually decided to stick with Weebly and have them host my audio. The site is very simple and neat and I'm a HUGE fan of their interface. Mostly because I suck at web design. The last thing I really need to do is buy a domain name because my site is currently adamamin.weebly.com.

Jon Chelesnik

#8 Post by Jon Chelesnik » Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:53 pm

Hi Adam,

Good job on your webiste. The layout is very clean, your audio quality is crisp and and your site is easy to navigate. Well done.

One of the great benefits of hosting your demo and resume on STAA is the traffic your Talent Page would receive on our website versus what any private site receives. We receive more than 1.9 million hits per month. All of that is from sportscasters and much of it is from employers.

You can use both a personal site and an STAA Talent Page to help you find opportunities. Only in the STAA Talent Search, however, can opportunities find you.

radiorat

#9 Post by radiorat » Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:17 am

Jon

I am sorry people are asking advice on your site of how to go elsewhere with their audio. Your a standup guy and could have removed the post, but you again continue to show your class.

And for the record I'm not an STAA client. (insert poor college kid line here)

Adam Amin

#10 Post by Adam Amin » Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:27 pm

Please do not take my post as an offense, Jon. I am right with RadioRat as a poor college student.

The reason I went with Weebly is because it is free to design, it cost me $2 per month for them to host audio, and I had a coupon with godaddy.com to host my website for $0.10/month. It is merely for cost effectiveness.

In all honesty, I love this website because of the amount of information I get from it. I have colleagues who are clients and speak NOTHING BUT HIGHLY for the quality of the website. In the past, I spent money on downloading the MP3s from the play-by-play help section of the website. I find this to be one of the better tools on the internet in being kept in the loop when it comes to job searching and I would recommend it to anyone aspiring to find employment.

mew5175

Re: Creating Your Website

#11 Post by mew5175 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:44 pm

I am a freewebs (now Webs) guy myself.