Changing Jobs

Gather around for news and rumors about the industry
johnthayer1
The middle number please (4738): 0

Changing Jobs

#1 Post by johnthayer1 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:03 pm

If you were in your first job out of college making a mere $20k and struggling to make ends meet, but was offered a new job for more money and the current employer has no interest in raising your salary what would you do? I know this seems simple because more money is good, but I am looking at this as only being at this job for 6 months.

How bad is this for your career as far as perhaps needing references someday?

Comments are appreciated!! Thanks

duckie

#2 Post by duckie » Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:07 pm

If the new opportunity is a step-up the career ladder, and you are confident about the company you would be going to work for, then do it. As long as you give your current employer proper notice, and you do not burn any bridges when you leave, you have no reason to feel guilty for leaving.

Your first responsibility is to yourself and your family (if you have one). For all you know, your current employer might have to make cutbacks and do away with your job in six more months.

Scott_Sudikoff
The middle number please (4738): 0

#3 Post by Scott_Sudikoff » Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:18 pm

Being someone that has yet to find my first full-time gig out of college, and knowing how hard it is to get a job in this field, I'd say you have to move on (as long as it is a step up.) If it unclear to you whether its a step up, then you should think about if the money is truly worth it.

Either way, there's no reason you should feel bad as long as you do it graciously. I'm willing to bet your current employer would still speak highly of you in the future.

Good luck!

Adam

#4 Post by Adam » Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:38 pm

I lasted at my first job about 9 months...and due to issues I won't get into here my second one a shade over 13 months. The first I left volunatrily, the second was more of major issues at the company/station.

I've been at my current gig for nearly three years. I think as long as you don't develop or habits where a resume reads a new job every six months you'll be fine. Most employers know when you enter the job market you're going to work as hard and fast to move up. It's not a badge of honor to leave after six months but if you feel it's a move you can't pass up--give as much notice and an explanation if possible. Try to help the transition (refer a friend or someone else you know to the bosses to fill the position if you can) and do your best to make a clean break. Thank them for the opportunity but go for it! You only regret the chances you don't take...or something cliche like that on a motivational poster.

Adam

radiorat

#5 Post by radiorat » Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:56 am

I'm working part time at two outlets in a top five market and I feel guilty just looking for work elsewhere in a full time role. But when it comes down to it I'm graduating college in a month and top 5 market or not I've got to have something full time...soon. So don't feel bad about doing what is best for you. Most people understand and expect that you won't stay at your first job forever. Make sure you let them know how much you appreciate your first opportunity.

JWShark

#6 Post by JWShark » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:48 am

I think its important to be up front with your employers. Many of them in this business will understand its really more of a ladder than anything else. But make sure they know that. And being gracious for and recognizing the chance they gave you is very important. A gracious employer, someone you would actually want as a reference in the future anyway, won't hold it against you to be ambitous.