The best and the worst

Gather around for news and rumors about the industry
Jon Chelesnik

The best and the worst

#1 Post by Jon Chelesnik » Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:32 am

BetOnline.com recently surveyed 1,500 bettors on the best and worst NFL broadcasters. The results include:

* Best play-by-play ---- Joe Buck (Fox with 29 percent), Al Michaels (NBC 21 percent) and Dick Enberg (CBS 14 percent).

* Worst play-by-play ---- Bryant Gumbel (former NFL Network 60 percent), Ron Pitts (Fox 25 percent), Greg Gumbel (CBS 7 percent).

* Best color analyst ---- John Madden (NBC 57 percent), Troy Aikman (Fox 16 percent) and Phil Simms (CBS 12 percent).

Marky

#2 Post by Marky » Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:25 pm

Those are traditional choices.

I like Buck, too. But you know who I think is very good but not a lead network guy?

Ian Eagle.

I also am consistently amazed at how sharp Dick Stockton can always be no matter what sport he's broadcasting.

Adam Amin

#3 Post by Adam Amin » Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:58 pm

Marky wrote: I also am consistently amazed at how sharp Dick Stockton can always be no matter what sport he's broadcasting.

WRONG.

radiorat

#4 Post by radiorat » Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:32 am

I agree with your comment about Ian.

Dick Stockton-Not very good

Joe Buck- Does he always have to say "that WILL BE a double off the wall" (after it has already hit the wall), they WILL score two" "That WILL BE a touchdown"

What is wrong with They score two, or he hits a double off the wall.

When I hear WILL BE I always think well...when WILL it happen.

Easy for me to say, everybody in a high profile spot takes criticism from the low level people.

RadioDaddyKat
The middle number please (4738): 0

#5 Post by RadioDaddyKat » Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:40 pm

Interesting how CBS' No. 2 guy was thought of as more popular as their No. 1.

Ian Eagle is solid ... so is the versatile Kevin Harlan, who could likely make a bad chess match sound interesting.

My fav, though, in the NFL is Al Michaels. It helps having John Madden (as annoying as I know some people may think he is) as your analyist, but Michaels has handled a number of people in the booth in a array of sports, and is effective on meshing with them to tell the stories within the game.

Off the subject, although he was brought up in the survey ... does anyone else think Bryant Gumbel should shave the beard??
Ben Catley
Operations Manager - Lamar/Sports
25-7 Media, Inc./Beacon Broadcasting
Lamar, CO