Winter Meetings

Gather around for news and rumors about the industry
duckie

Winter Meetings

#1 Post by duckie » Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:18 am

I'm considering attending the STAA seminar in Vegas, and I would like to maximize my efforts by attending the baseball winter meetings. My question is for anyone who has attended the winter meetings in the past: is there a "best day" for broadcasters to attend? First day, second day, etc.? If I attend I'm trying to determine what the length of my stay needs to be.

Thanks.

Bob Rotruck

#2 Post by Bob Rotruck » Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:26 pm

You need to be there for at least 3 days and possibly 4 I think.

Sometimes they do first round interviews for a position, talk about it, and then conduct the 2nd round of interviews the following day. Stuff like that.

You also want to mill about and meet people and network as best you can.

Going for only one day would be almost pointless I think.

Dan Hawkins

#3 Post by Dan Hawkins » Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:34 am

I too am attending the winter meetings out in Vegas for the first time this year. I am attending Jon's seminar on Saturday and plan to stay out there until Wednesday....I think you need to stay available for the duration as timing is everything...

Bob Rotruck

#4 Post by Bob Rotruck » Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:07 pm

I don't know what the timing or schedule and stuff is now. But I thought I remembered it being something where you would want to show up on Thursday or so and stay through Monday or something like that.
Perhaps it is different now or my memory is playing tricks on me.
I've been to several winter meetings in the past but haven't been for quite a few years.

radiorat

#5 Post by radiorat » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:28 pm

3 things:
Do a google search on the winter meetings, get the pbeo membership (175.00 before the end of oct. I think), and read Josh Lewin's book "Getting into the Game"

I'll be attending for the first time as well. Sounds like if your willing to work for free or almost nothing then a team might give you a shot. In Josh's book he mentions the highest paying job available during the year he wrote the book was a catering position for I think 1,700 a month, but most broadcast positions ranged from internship to 1,000 a month. Including a 500 buck a month gig without a place to live.

Dan Hawkins

#6 Post by Dan Hawkins » Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:50 pm

Are any of you attending Jon's seminar on Dec 6th? I have signed up and looking forward to it...

Jon Chelesnik

#7 Post by Jon Chelesnik » Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:19 am

The STAA seminar is must for anyone who will be attending the Winter Meetings for the purpose of landing a minor league baseball play-by-play job. One of our seminar sessions is titled "15 Tips, Tricks and Secrets for Landing a Job at the Winter Meetings."

There will also be an hour-long, post-seminar meet-and-greet where attendees can introduce themselves to our guest speakers and to the many current minor league baseball broadcasters who will be in attendance. Getting jobs in minor league baseball is more about who you know than what you know. Here is your chance to get to know people who can be difference makers in your career.

duckie

#8 Post by duckie » Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:39 am

Jon:

Do you have a full rundown of the sessions, or even a complete itinerary of events you will have at the seminar?

Jon Chelesnik

#9 Post by Jon Chelesnik » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:35 am

The seminar will include an hour-long meet-and-greet after the event.

Networking opportunities like this are rare. You will be able to talk one-on-one with the other attendees, including several minor league baseball play-by-play broadcasters. You will also be able to personally meet our guest speakers. Imagine how introducing yourself to Learfield's Tom Boman might impact your career in the future.

Jon Chelesnik

#10 Post by Jon Chelesnik » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:36 am

The deadline to register for the seminar is Wednesday December 3rd. Registrations will not be sold at the event.

The seminar schedule:

Check-in: 9:30 to 10:00 am
Seminar: 10:00 to 5:00
Meet-and-Greet: 5:00 to 6:00 pm

The meet-and greet will be an opportunity for seminar attendees to speak to each other and to introduces themselves and speak to our guest speakers.

Click here for full seminar details:
http://www.staatalent.com/seminars/vegas.htm

Jon Chelesnik

#11 Post by Jon Chelesnik » Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:10 pm

STAA wants to help you help yourself at the Winter Meetings.

Attendees of STAA's play-by-play seminar, hosted at the Las Vegas Hilton the day before the start of the meetings, will receive 15% off the price of new demo and resume portfolio construction.

Click here for details.

Attendees who have already had their portfolios constructed by STAA will receive 15% off the price of re-orders.

Audio and resume files for new orders must be received by STAA no later than Friday, November 21.

To ensure timely delivery call STAA today, 949-215-6713.

Jon Chelesnik

#12 Post by Jon Chelesnik » Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:35 am

A pair of veteran play-by-play broadcasters has been added to the lineup of guest speakers at STAA’s upcoming play-by-play seminar, Portland Beavers (Class AAA) broadcaster Rich Burk and ESPN TV's Dave LaMont.

The pair will join Learfield Sports Broadcast Manager Tom Boman, Fox Sports broadcaster Danyelle Sargent, former NBA Head Coach, Eric Musselman and STAA CEO Jon Chelesnik in speaking at the event. The seminar is Saturday December 6th at the Las Vegas Hilton. It will go from 10 am to 6 pm, including an hour-long meet-and-greet for attendees and speakers.

Learn from broadcasters who have been where you want to go, and meet professionals who will be able to help you throughout your career.

$99 registrations are available through Tuesday November 18. After that, they will be $149.

Former Daytona Cubs broadcaster Derek Ingram was originally schedule to speak but will not be able to attend.

About Rich Burk
Rich Burk has been the radio and TV play-by-play voice of the Portland Beavers, Triple-A affiliate of the San Diego Padres, since 2001. He has also done college football for Fox Sports Net. A candidate for several Major League broadcast positions in recent seasons, Burk is regarded as one of the top play-by-play broadcasters in baseball.

About Dave LaMont
Dave Lamont is a play-by-play announcer for ABC/ESPN TV, co-host of NFL Live on Westwood One, and the voice of Florida Atlantic football. This past season, he did fill-in play-by-play on the Baltimore Orioles Radio Network. LaMont has also served as a TV host for the Florida Marlins and Miami Heat. A veteran of the industry since his teenage years, Lamont has won the Associated Press award for best daily sports and an AIR award for play-by-play.

Click here for full seminar details:
http://www.staatalent.com/seminars/vegas.htm

Jon Chelesnik

#13 Post by Jon Chelesnik » Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:33 pm

David LaMont, one of the guest speakers at STAA's seminar for play-by-play broadcasters next month, has a busy week ahead. This Saturday night (November 22) LaMont will have the ESPN Radio call of Pitt -Cincinnati college football. The day after Thanksgiving, LaMont will handle the ABC TV play-by-play when West Virginia visits Pitt. LaMont is also the voice of Florida Atlantic University basketball and will have the calls of their consolation games at the Pre-Season NIT, including a game against Davidson this coming Monday (November 24).

radiorat

#14 Post by radiorat » Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:02 pm

How many of these baseball jobs posted on STAA can we expect to see still open at the winter meetings? Any thoughts?

And I'm hearing two things regarding the hiring process. Several people have said very few actually hire at the meetings, but instead take the tapes home and make the process longer. Others have said the majority do the hiring at the meetings.

Jon Chelesnik

#15 Post by Jon Chelesnik » Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:21 pm

Award winning broadcaster Russ Langer has been added to the list of speakers at STAA’s play-by-play seminar Saturday December 6th in Las Vegas.
Langer, the long-time voice of the Los Angeles Dodgers Triple-A team in Las Vegas, replaces Portland Beavers broadcaster Rich Burk. Burk recently received a television play-by-play opportunity that precludes him from speaking at the seminar.

The voice of the Las Vegas 51’s for the past nine seasons, Langer also has considerable Major League play-by-play experience. In addition to calling Dodgers spring training games each year, he did fill-in play-by-play for the Montreal Expos In 2003 and 2004, and for the Baltimore Orioles in 2006.

Langer is a three-time Nevada Sportscaster of the Year and a one-time winner of the award in the state of New Mexico.

Burk regrets not being able to speak at the seminar.

"STAA runs a great service, and their sportscasting seminar was something I was very much looking forward to," said Burk. "I enjoy helping people in this business, and with the lineup of other speakers who are going to be there, I knew I'd learn some things and make some valuable contacts myself. I'm already looking forward to participating in the future."