100 years of futility

Gather around for news and rumors about the industry
samiam
The middle number please (4738): 0

100 years of futility

#1 Post by samiam » Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:53 am

I must admit I actually thought the Cubs would do something this postseason. I have been a big fan for a longtime but I must admit, I was wrong. Their play on the field has been an embarrassment really to the whole city. The big question is how did this team win 97 games in the regular season?

As far as being competitive...they actually played better against the Diamondbacks last year. At least two of those three games were on the road instead of the two games they earned at home this season for having the best record in the NL. How bad do you think game three will get? Kuroda the starter for LA pitched a complete shutout against the Cubs in May. The misery is about to end LA 6, Chi1 on Saturday.

sctsports77

#2 Post by sctsports77 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:10 am

For the sake of my 89-year old grandfather in Litchfield, Illinois...Here's a Cardinal fan born and bred in St. Louis hoping that the Cubs can do what only one other team, the Yankees, have done and come back to win three straight. They certainly have the pitching to do it but when you have a priest come out and bless the field, the franchise itself definitely believes in the curses.

Scott_Sudikoff

#3 Post by Scott_Sudikoff » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:42 am

sctsports77 wrote:For the sake of my 89-year old grandfather in Litchfield, Illinois...Here's a Cardinal fan born and bred in St. Louis hoping that the Cubs can do what only one other team, the Yankees, have done and come back to win three straight. They certainly have the pitching to do it but when you have a priest come out and bless the field, the franchise itself definitely believes in the curses.
What only the Yankees have done? Do you mean losing the first 2 games at home, and coming back to win 3 straight?

sctsports77

#4 Post by sctsports77 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:52 am

Right...unless I misspoke, being down 0-2, only one team has come back from that hole to win a division series. Is my math wrong? I thought that happened only once...help me here, I'm drowning!!! Aaaaahhhhhh...

samiam

#5 Post by samiam » Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:08 am

I thought it was the 95 M's who BEAT the Yankees down 2-0 after losing the first two at home. Remember the slide to cap off that series. Although the M's weren't blown out in their first two games at home either. That's when television had their only year for the baseball network and you couldn't watch all the playoff games because they were competing with each other.

Scott_Sudikoff

#6 Post by Scott_Sudikoff » Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:11 am

The Red Sox were down 0-2 (lost first 2 games at Oakland) in 2003 and they came back to win 2 at Fenway, and the clincher at Oakland.

But, once again, I'm not sure if you meant down 0-2 in general or down 0-2 losing both games at home.

Edit to say: The Red Sox have done that twice. In 1999 lost first 2 games at Cleveland, and came back to win 2 at Fenway and the clincher at Cleveland with that epic bullpen performance from Pedro Martinez.

sctsports77

#7 Post by sctsports77 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:56 am

And, here I thought it was only done once...maybe once for a team to lose the first two at home then win the division series. That's more times than I thought for teams to come back 0-2 to win a division series.

Great info...

Marky

#8 Post by Marky » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:06 am

Coming back from 2-0 to win a five game series is nothing new.

Admittedly, the 2-2-1 format wasn't around when the League Championship Series was a best of five affair, but in '81 the Dodgers came back against the Astros in the Division Series (there was a split season that year, hence a divisional series 13 years before the wild card was invented) after losing the first two in the Astrodome.

Side note- the Brewers and Phillies also nearly came back from 2-0 deficits in the '81 Divisional series (the Brewers would have done it at Yankee Stadium, too), but they both lost the fifth game.

Also- from the top of my head-

Brewers came back against the Angels in the '82 ALCS with three straight at County Stadium despite Fred Lynn hitting better than .500 for the series.

There was the famous Cubs collapse in San Diego in '84. First baseman Leon Durham let the winning hit go through his legs two years before Buckner did in the World Series. Rick Sutcliffe- 16-1 in the regular season- took the loss in the clincher.

The Red Sox came back against the Indians in the 2-2-1 format back in the 1999 ALDS, though two of the games were in Fenway. Pedro Martinez came into an 8-7 slugfest after three innings and suddenly pitched five or six nearly perfect innings in a 12-8 Boston clinching victory.

That said- baseball historians like myself look at this group of playoff teams- see the Dodgers among the Cubs, Phillies, and Brewers, and automatically pick the Dodgers just because we're convinced the other teams are cursed.

And Joe Torre's been known to outmanage his counterparts in the postseason as well.

But only after his stint as a sportscaster, of course!