Production Question

Gather around for news and rumors about the industry
Ctrain
The middle number please (4738): 0

Production Question

#1 Post by Ctrain » Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:24 pm

I'm musing over the idea of setting up a freelance production service in my free time, right now, I have a copy of Adobe Audition 2.0 on my laptop, what else would I need to be able to effectivley create SFX production and the like?

and where could a starving kid find some equipment for cheap?

Mike McBride
The middle number please (4738): 0

#2 Post by Mike McBride » Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:46 pm

I did this a few years ago when I was living in New Orleans & only able to find part-time broadcasting & play-by-play work.

I'll start by telling you that free-lance production & voiceover work is a really, really, really, really, really, really , really competitivie busines.

There are THOUSANDS of radio DJ's & voiceover pros out there who've been in the business for many, many years who have home studios & websites, and voice & produce commercial spots for radio stations & bigger production houses all over the country.

So it's a tough business to make a mark in. I'd suggest having a website built, or build your own, with mp3 samples of your work, along with your rates & contact info. Then e-mail a marketing message with the link to your website to as many stations as you can.

I got a little bit of business here and there...enough to pay for the equipment (mic, sound card, studio monitors) I invested in, but not anything consistent. Then again...you might be a LOT better at production & voiceovers than I am, so you might have more success.

Certainly not trying to discourage you....just sharing my own experience in trying to do what you're thinking about doing.