Producers who slack for the fill-in host

Gather around for news and rumors about the industry
bill rogan

#1 Post by bill rogan » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:57 am

Why don't you book your own guests?

bill rogan

#2 Post by bill rogan » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:40 pm

Oh, I don't know. Perhaps you want to sound good on the air? If you know the producer is a slacker, why wouldn't you say, "Screw it, I'll find good guests on my own."

mtr2002
The middle number please (4738): 0

#3 Post by mtr2002 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:29 am

I have to agree with Bill on this one. Yes, it is the producer's job to book the guests, but in the end it is your name and your voice attached to the show. That is what listeners will remember, not "the producer didn't book anyone today." If you know this is what happens/has happened/will happen, then you should know that when you fill in you need to find guests.

PhilGiubileo
The middle number please (4738): 0

#4 Post by PhilGiubileo » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:54 am

A good producer should obviously not "take the day off" when there is a fill-in, but there is a tendency for that to happen...

Also, if you know that you're going to fill-in and have some lead time (or even not), the fill-in should actually reach out to the producer and discuss what he/she would like to do, and offer suggestions on who to reach out for to come on as a guest... The fill-in doesn't actually have to pick up the phone and book guests (although that guarantees that you put the success of that endeavor in your own hands), but you can direct the producer on what you need to create a good show...

However, a fill-in host should not just expect to show up and have everything done for them...