I am a long-time supporter of the cold contact method for finding a sports broadcasting job. Cold contacting is a more efficient plan to get a job versus only applying for published openings. In fact, my belief in cold contacting is so strong, I wrote a book about it.
You don’t have to simply take my word on the effectiveness of cold contacting. Justin Antweil landed his current play-by-play job at Bucknell University by putting together a cold contact plan and following through with his strategy. In this podcast episode Justin shares his strategy and how it lead to Bucknell.
Listen to the Audio
Among the topics we cover:
- Why Justin decided to try the cold contact method
- How to put your target contact list together
- How many university’s Justin heard back from (the answer may surprise you!)
- The critical info to include in your first email
- Why you should persevere in cold contacting, even when you don’t hear back from employers
- Tips for winning the job interview