For the second time in four years, Brian Sinkoff is a free agent. As he did in January 2008, when WTEN (ABC-10) eliminated his job, Sinkoff handled his dismissal from WTMM (104.5 FM) with dignity.
“You do something for 3½ years, and all of a sudden it’s taken away, there definitely is some sadness there and some disappointment,” Sinkoff said by phone this afternoon. “As much as I argued with callers and we had our differences, everybody out there had a lot of fun.”
Sinkoff was fired after his “Sound-Off With Sinkoff” show went off the air at 6:30 p.m. Friday night. The station sent out a press release this afternoon, announcing that “sports-talk veteran” Bruce Jacobs will be occupying Sinkoff’s time slot beginning Tuesday. (More on Jacobs in a minute.)
Hired by WTMM in April 2008, Sinkoff said he “had no indication this was coming. It was a very big shock. I had been working very hard to make it what it is today.”
He was replaced as programming director in September 2010, shortly after Townsquare Media took over WTMM, by Brian Noe, who remains host of a 1-3 p.m. weekday show on the ESPN-affiliated station.
Sinkoff arrived in the market in September 2005 as WTEN’s sports director. He was caught in a slashing of 10 jobs by the ABC affiliate in January 2008.
In addition to a part-time role with Time Warner Cable Sports, Sinkoff said he has opportunities out there and said he would share details once he decides his next move.
As for Jacobs, he is described as a right-wing host whose resume appears to be longer than Larry Brown’s. He most recently had a weekend gig with Fox Sports Radio in Los Angeles.
Read more at the Albany Times Union where this story was originally published.