Job Application Feedback

Gather around for news and rumors about the industry
GoBlue2009
antispam: No
The middle number please (4738): 4738

Job Application Feedback

#1 Post by GoBlue2009 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:44 am

If there was a job you know you were qualified for, but didn't get it, is it acceptable to send an e-mail to the GM of a team, news director, or HR person asking what you were lacking or what you can work on, simply for your own edification?

I value constructive criticism, and it would really just give me peace of mind in this situation.

Jon Chelesnik

Re: Job Application Feedback

#2 Post by Jon Chelesnik » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:13 pm

Here's what I shared with you via email. Hopefully, it will help others to see it here. There's also a great chance that someone will offer advice that is different/better than mine.

I generally advice against it because, if not presented with great tact, the question can easily come across as sour grapes.

If you DO inquire, ask the person in charge of hiring versus someone in HR because that is the person you want to build a relationship with. It may pay off down the line.

Nobody should beat themselves up when they don't get a job for which they've applied. 98% of applicants for any job don't get the job. Most of the 98% also feels they are qualified for the position and many of them truly are. While dozens of qualified apply, only one gets the gig.

Use the rejections as motivation to improve, but don't let them make you crazy.

Nate March
antispam: No
The middle number please (4738): 4738

#3 Post by Nate March » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:26 am

Speaking from the standpoint of someone that does some hiring for their organization, albeit on the production side and not talent end of things, the determining factor in whether to ask or not shouldn't be based on whether you met the qualifications for the position. The better way to determine whether it is appropriate is to assess how much rapport you built with the hiring manager during the interview process.

If you have interviewed multiple times for the position and know you were down to the final two to four candidates, you may be able to tactfully ask for feedback. If you were not moved forward beyond an initial phone screening, probably best to just thank them for their consideration during the hiring process and move on without asking for the feedback.

So much of hiring is about comfort level with a candidate and how you feel they fit in the organization. There are almost always many candidates with suitable qualifications, multiple candidates that feel like they could be the right choice, and ultimately only one that will be hired into the position.

I know none of that is earth shattering information, but I hope it helps.

Jon Chelesnik

#4 Post by Jon Chelesnik » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:11 am

The better way to determine whether it is appropriate is to assess how much rapport you built with the hiring manager during the interview process.
Outstanding advice. Thank you, Nate!