Dreaming about Sportscasting

Gather around for news and rumors about the industry

Bob Rotruck

Dreaming about Sportscasting

#1 Postby Bob Rotruck » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:38 am

Please tell me I'm not the only one who has these. Sometimes the different sports get all mixed up and somehow there is a ground-rule double in the middle of a basketball game and then a power play and...Boom...Touchdown!! And weirdly it all makes sense to me and is completely normal.

Other times I'm kind of playing the sport and/or broadcasting it at the same time somehow. I'm in the booth, wait, now I'm down in the field, wait now I'm calling it again.

Dream last night: calling hockey players I know playing in a soccer match. I've never broadcast soccer before, but used to play a lot. I'm walking up and down the sideline to follow the action and try to call it somehow.

And there's the old standby for me: Running late to the game and then the equipment is all messed up and I'm trying to get on the air and I don't know any of the players and the whole thing's a disaster (or I went to the wrong arena or something and didn't realize until too late). Yes yes, that sounds just like my ordinary, everyday-happens-to-me-all-the-time scene....but it's far more severe and ridiculous in the dream.

That one clearly feels like an off-shoot of the old, "back in school somehow and forgot I had a test today" type of dream which I've probably had 50+ times I'm guessing? (my Mom is 68 and tells me she still gets the "we have a test today?" type dreams. weird)

So am I over-obsessive to actually have different varieties of dreams about this stuff? Time to check into the mental hospital?
Lehigh Valley Phantoms hockey in Allentown, Pennsylvania. AHL affiliate of the Philadelphia Flyers.

sctsports77
The middle number please (4738): 0

Re: Dreaming about Sportscasting

#2 Postby sctsports77 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:54 am

Interesting the way our brains work...I've been heard doing pbp while sleep-talking.

Bill Morgan
antispam: No
The middle number please (4738): 4738

#3 Postby Bill Morgan » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:50 pm

Bob and Shawn - good news, bad news. Bad news first: you are both nuts !!! Good news: in broadcasting, we all are :mrgreen:

I once had a program director tell me why all radio personalities, sports broadcasters included, are certifiable...... " Bill, " he said, " the # 1 public fear in America is not death, it's public speaking. And every day you, and the rest of the people at this and other stations, go sit in a little room ( the studio ) and talk to yourself for hours at a time, hoping that anybody with a pulse will listen. Clearly, you have issues. "

I wanted to argue with him, but hell...... he was right.

jaymurry

#4 Postby jaymurry » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:41 pm

You're not crazy. The brain has to off-load excess stress and use, and one way it does that (or, at least that's one of the things I learned as a psychology major) is during its quiet time, through crazy dreams. Especially if you have had a lot of PBP games in a short amount of time, with a limited amount of available prep time.

DonWadewitz

#5 Postby DonWadewitz » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:34 pm

Bill Morgan wrote:Bob and Shawn - good news, bad news. Bad news first: you are both nuts !!! Good news: in broadcasting, we all are :mrgreen:

I once had a program director tell me why all radio personalities, sports broadcasters included, are certifiable...... " Bill, " he said, " the # 1 public fear in America is not death, it's public speaking. And every day you, and the rest of the people at this and other stations, go sit in a little room ( the studio ) and talk to yourself for hours at a time, hoping that anybody with a pulse will listen. Clearly, you have issues. "

I wanted to argue with him, but hell...... he was right.

I had to share this on my Facebook page. Too funny.

Return to “Sports Radio Water Cooler”