STAA

We'll Help You Get the Job You Want
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:24 pm 

A drop in the ratings has led to a drop in salary for Glenn Ordway.

According to industry sources, the longtime WEEI host had his reported $1 million annual salary cut in half by station owner Entercom earlier this month. The company took advantage of a clause in the contract Ordway signed in January 2009 that gave it an out if his afternoon drive program, “The Big Show,’’ failed to meet a certain standard in the Arbitron ratings.

http://staatalent.com/2011/headlines/or ... h-ratings/

I'm can't decide which fact is more stunning -- that a local host was making $1M or that someone in local radio can take a 50% pay cut and still be making $500,000.

Last edited by Jon Chelesnik on Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:17 pm 

Well I'm blaming the company on this. It was their idea to pay the guy $1 million to start with (Seems like too much for a local guy but I'm from a midsize market so I can't really speak to that). Entercom has a reputation of doing this. When they bought the CBS Radio Stations here in Rochester a few years ago they certainly rubbed alot of people the wrong way at the beginning by firing a then popular morning host who had been at the same station for over 30 years, firing a mid-day dj who had been with the same station over 20 years to bring him back as PD and pay him less money and those are probably the most memorable examples. There is no way on earth though I would ever sign a contract that would say I would take a 50% paycut if I didn't hit certain ratings. I mean I could see a slight, 5% but 50%!? WOW! Remember though Jon don't be so shocked that this company was paying a big market guy that much. Remember over the Summer when Clear Channel Dayton had a popular host quit due to making less than $200/week and they just put on the mega production "I Heart Radio Music Festival" this weekend. As we have mentioned millions of times, this business is extremely shady and here's just more proof of that.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:25 pm 

:shock: :shock: :shock:

I know there are many here who would be thanking their lucky stars if they were getting $50,000, much less $500,000.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:24 pm 

The other side of supply and demand.

If you can get a better deal elsewhere, take it.

You'd gladly sign a contract that doubled your salary if you DID hit certain ratings targets, right? I mean, that's called a bonus, right? So what's fair is fair, right?