Eastern Michigan University Football Play-By-Play
The Eastern Michigan University Department of Athletics and WEMU (89.1 FM) are accepting applications for a football radio play-by-play broadcaster for the 2019 season.
Located in Ypsilanti, Mich., Eastern Michigan is a member of the Division I Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) and the Mid-American Conference (MAC).
Interested candidates should have the ability to set up broadcast equipment and troubleshoot, interview, edit audio, take direction well, be detail oriented and provide a bright, clinical and descriptive presentation while using a high level of discretion in decision making both on and off the air. All candidates should possess an ability to meet deadlines and work nights/weekends.
A bachelor’s degree is required. This is an independent contractor position that will begin yearly in August and run through December.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
• Play-by-play broadcaster for football games and contribute to pregame, halftime, and postgame reports
• Conduct interviews with student-athletes and coaches
• Become well-researched on Eastern Michigan University football, including coaches, players and history
• Keep current on activities and events that impact EMU and the MAC
• Create family-friendly commentary that focuses on EMU
• Engage in media interviews (both local and national) to discuss and promote EMU
• Coordinate with WEMU’s Station Manager and EMU’s Associate Athletic Director for Media Relations for interviews, promotions, corporate partnership reads, etc.
• A bachelor’s degree is required
• Minimum of 3-5 years experience broadcasting at the NCAA Division I and/or the NFL, NBA, or MLB level
• Must be self-motivated with attention to detail and accuracy
• Evening and weekend hours with some travel
• Demonstrate strong writing skills with versatility between different platforms
• Knowledge of audio editing software and broadcast equipment
Monthly stipend - TBD
To Apply: Submissions should include the following:
• Cover letter
• Samples of football radio play-by-play, including at least five un-cut minutes (mp3 format)
Non-required (but they won’t hurt!):
• Scoreboard segment
• Short highlight reel
• Video production samples
• Video broadcasting reel
Send To Both:
EMU Associate Director of Athletic Media Relations
WEMU Station Manager
Please indicate in your cover letter you learned of this opportunity through Sportscasters Talent Agency of America.
Review of applicants will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.