Four Prime Play-by-Play Openings

Sports Talk, Play-by-Play, Anchor & Reporter Jobs
Jon Chelesnik

#16 Post by Jon Chelesnik » Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:07 pm

Expect the next of these Division I college football and basketball play-by-play jobs to be posted here on the STAA website as soon as this Thursday, April 24.

micmoles

#17 Post by micmoles » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:03 pm

The University of New Mexico?!?

micmoles

#18 Post by micmoles » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:42 pm

The connection to all these college openings and STAA appears to be Learfield.

So long, everybody; Mike Roberts no longer is the voice of the Lobos.

After four decades of broadcasting University of New Mexico football and basketball games on the radio, Roberts learned Friday that he has been fired as UNM's play-by-play announcer.

Roberts, who signed off every Lobo broadcast with the phrase, "So long, everybody," met with UNM athletics director Paul Krebs, media relations director Greg Remington and Darren Dunn, general manager of Lobo Sports Properties.

Lobo Sports Properties is a subsidiary of Learfield Communications, which signed a contract for exclusive radio broadcast rights to UNM games beginning next fall, as well as all aspects of Lobo marketing and advertising.

KKOB-AM (770), owned by Citadel Broadcasting, will continue to air football and men's basketball games through the 2014-2015 school year.

Krebs said Learfield will bring in all new on-air talent for football and men's basketball -- Remington no longer will provide color commentary for football games and Joe O'Neill won't return as men's basketball analyst.

Learfield will begin a nationwide search immediately for play-by-play and color commentators for next season.

Krebs declined to discuss why Roberts wasn't retained.

"I'd rather not get into that," Krebs said. "It was a decision with Learfield that I support."

Tim Cline, a senior vice president for Learfield Communications, said his organization simply wanted to go in a different direction.

I would gather the OTHER opening is either going to be the University of Miami, FL or Stanford.

Jon Chelesnik

#19 Post by Jon Chelesnik » Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:12 pm

The other stealth opening is not Miami or Stanford. Speculation that it might be has caused great inconvenience for the broadcasters at both of those schools as well as the broadcasting rights holders.

Respectfully, I ask everyone to please refrain from speculating. The reason we have alerted folks about pending openings was so that interested applicants could be prepared. The last thing we want is for our effort to be helpful to result in incovenience for anyone.

Thank you for your understanding.

PxPinVA

#20 Post by PxPinVA » Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:41 pm

Not that I've speculated on here but I have noticed some of the "well such and such might be opening" threads as well.

How about deleting any postings on this board in regards to speculating. That would surely send a message.

Jon Chelesnik

#21 Post by Jon Chelesnik » Tue May 06, 2008 5:58 pm

The third of these jobs is the University of New Mexico.

Click here for details on how to apply.

Things have changed in regard to the fourth of these stealth jobs. There is now less than a 50% chance that the final job will come open.

Jon Chelesnik

#22 Post by Jon Chelesnik » Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:45 pm

The fourth of these jobs was Fresno State. The position has been filled. Congratulations to Paul Loeffler, the new voice of the Bulldogs. Paul takes over at the start of this basketball season.

Read the full story here.