Recording demos with iPhone

Gather around for news and rumors about the industry
JoeWeb10
antispam: No
The middle number please (4738): 4738

Recording demos with iPhone

#1 Post by JoeWeb10 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:54 pm

Good evening all.

I'm just wanting to record my first demo, and wanted some opinions on if using my iPhone would be sufficient enough for something like this.

Thanks in advance!
Joe Webster
Sports Journalist-Dallas New Era
Twitter: https://www.twitter.com/joeweb10

Jon Chelesnik

Re: Recording demos with iPhone

#2 Post by Jon Chelesnik » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:43 am

Hi Joe -- the iPhone has terrific recording ability. What I've never tested is recording in an unusually loud environment, like a basketball gym. I'm eager to see what other folks suggest.

Steve Carney
The middle number please (4738): 0

#3 Post by Steve Carney » Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:17 pm

Hi Joe,

I've used my iPhone as my main sound gathering tool while reporting for years (since getting my iPhone 5...now on the 7 Plus), and I think that I can give you a little bit of advice on it.

The iPhone is also a great tool for recording demos (I've used mine for everything from mock PBP to recording spec features to try and sell sponsorship to recording interviews on the field from the College Football Playoff National Championship as well as the MLB and NHL Playoffs), but there are a couple of things you may want to invest in before going for it.

1) The microphone on the iPhone is omnidirectional and as such in loud settings you can get lost in the background. For that reason I always use a stick microphone to record (I'm currently using a Behringer Ultravoice XM8500. I think it's under $20 on Amazon), and to connect it to the iPhone, I use a iRig Pre mic interface (about $30 at Guitar Center or B&H), which also allows me to adjust the gain on the mic in case I'm a little far away from the subject. If you have an iPhone 7, you'll also need the 3.5 mm to lightning dongle that came with your phone to connect it.

2) The Voice Memos app that comes with the iPhone works OK, but it has two downfalls: it only allows for an 8:00 maximum length before you have to split the file, and it records in m4a format. For that reason I used the TwistedWave Recorder app for the last year (free in app store) because it records in MP3, allows you to monitor levels on headphones (which you can connect to the iRig) and you can then email it from the phone to yourself for editing. About a month ago, the upgrade to TwistedWave Audio Editor was available for free and I upgraded to it, which allows you to edit directly on the phone and upload to a number of different services (like Dropbox, SoundCloud etc.). I believe it's back to $9.99 for the upgrade.

All in all, I've found it to be an extremely inexpensive investment that has served me amazingly well. Good luck!
Steve Carney
Rays Insider and "Inside Pitch" and "Extra Innings" Host
620 WDAE and 95.3 FM -- Tampa Bay's Sports Radio
Tampa, FL
Follow me on Twitter: @stevecarney
Listen Live: http://620wdae.com/listen

Jon Chelesnik

#4 Post by Jon Chelesnik » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:00 am

Hi Steve, this is outstanding advice. Thanks a TON for sharing it. It is going to be very helpful to many people, including myself. Thank you again.