Paying attention to who's in the huddle while still engaging

Gather around for news and rumors about the industry
YoungDuck
antispam: No
The middle number please (4738): 4738

Paying attention to who's in the huddle while still engaging

#1 Post by YoungDuck » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:55 pm

I finally realized last year how important and helpful it is to pay attention to who's in the huddle and subs...game-changer!

But with that and keeping a basic drive chart (I used to try to keep track of other stats too, but it's too much on my own, and my analysts usually don't care and/or do it enough to be useful there), I realized on Saturday that I'm often hardly listening to my color guy's analysis.

Of course this sometimes happens throughout the live broadcasting universe, but I realized I really wasn't listening to him at all a lot of the time-and this guy is a lot more knowledgable and long-winded than the guys I usually work with on my other broadcasts, so I can't rely on that much time to not talk. Granted though, the D3 team we call together moves quicker than high school just as a function of it being college ball and they also run no-huddle/hurry-up a lot.

All that said, how do you manage keeping your drive chart & knowing who's in the huddle while engaging w/your analyst and the audience?

ktomasch

Re: Paying attention to who's in the huddle while still enga

#2 Post by ktomasch » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:14 pm

Get married. You'll learn to feign paying attention pretty quickly.
Retired as of 11/1/2012. Mostly.

YoungDuck

#3 Post by YoungDuck » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:38 pm

ktomasch wrote:Get married. You'll learn to feign paying attention pretty quickly.
Haha, right! Good point-I already do that w/many women in my life. Ha!

Real-talk though, I just feel like I'm missing important things by doing that sometimes. With football-not women.

Jon Chelesnik

#4 Post by Jon Chelesnik » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:50 pm

Paying attention to which players are in the lineup is more important to the quality of your broadcast than the drive chart. Focus on that. You can still keep a nice scoring summary without distracting yourself by trying to also keep a drive chart.

Don't worry about not hearing your analyst. Almost never will your analyst ever say anything that requires a reply.