Strategy for researching PxP opportunities in Greater LA area?

Gather around for news and rumors about the industry

YoungDuck
antispam: No
The middle number please (4738): 4738

Strategy for researching PxP opportunities in Greater LA area?

#1 Postby YoungDuck » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:09 am

With frustrating TWC contracts and the more broad struggle to make HS and small college broadcasts profitable, my football & basketball reps have declined sharply in the last 2-3 years.

High quality problem: There are a TON of small colleges and endless high schools with football and basketball programs that could have PxP positions opening or opportunities for me to create a position (as I did for m/w basketball at Lane Community College in Eugene, Or) in the Greater LA region. I just don't know where to start or how to attack researching it all. I'm in Hollywood and central LA is where the TWC issue is, but I'm as happy doing audio-only calls as I am doing multi-cam calls...though the internet and audiences/employers seem to demand video more and more as time goes. (Duh)

I'm seriously considering hiring a virtual assistant off of Upwork to do (at least) some initial research for me...but I'm still not sure where I'd even have them start. College...or even semi-pro (??) would probably be better so it doesn't interfere too much with my NFHS gig, but everything's an option.

Jon Chelesnik

Re: Strategy for researching PxP opportunities in Greater LA area?

#2 Postby Jon Chelesnik » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:24 am

There are small colleges across the country that would love to have someone stream their games on the Net. Contact the schools in your area to inquire about the need for someone to call any sports, from football, to men's and women's hoops, to Olympic sports. Don't expect the schools to pay you, though. Most don't have it budgeted. Instead, you'll make money by selling advertising on the broadcasts.

Return to “Sports Radio Water Cooler”